Sunday, October 25, 2009

Advice for new moms


TOP 5 PIECES OF ADVICE FOR NEW MOMS


Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I consider myself to be a pretty darn good mommy. I was thinking the other day about the things I'd do differently with my next child and the things I'd do the same and thought I would come up with a list for my good friends that will be mommys soon. Not that they need any advice, they will do perfectly fine on their own, but here goes anyway.



#1 Seek and consult a good lactation consultant.

#2 Keep in mind, that the baby can cry for longer than 30 seconds, and s/he won't be scarred.

#3 Go out without the baby every once in a while.

#4 Trust your motherly instinct

#5 Let people help you

5 comments:

Sarah said...

This seems like the best and most simple list ever. I believe and take to heart every piece of advice you've listed.

You ARE a good mommy!

Kristi said...

Thanks so much! I can't wait... so many exciting times for you ahead.

Kathy said...

You are one of the best momms I know. And I love You!!!

Mickey D. said...

Well, I appreciate this. Sometimes it's the simpler things that we need to be reminded of.

I think you're a good Mom as well and I will listen to any advice you'd like to give.

Heather said...

I agree 100% with all 5. I would add #6 Its not a competition and #7 each kid is different. Ive learned that it is very easy to fall into "one up mode". 1st baby I read so much and was so stinking proud of EVERYTHING she did I couldnt help but share it. It usually turned into "pissing contests" with other moms without even realizing it.

I read a great article in Parent magazine on how not to feed into this behavior and it was the best advice ever. With my second I just smile, share a few entertaining ancedotes and be on my way. I dont feel like an involuntary chest pounder or insecure that my kids need to "catch up" or do more.

There really are a lot of toxic behaviors out there that parents dispense if we are aware.

I also realized early on that each baby, your own and others, is very different. It is very difficult to keep from trying to compare them,especially when they are very close in age, but it is worth trying. Especially things like nursing and sleeping through the night. Each child is special and has their own personality...that is made very clear in the first few weeks:)